Sunday, October 7, 2012

Fall Events



It's been a busy fall.  My painting "Scrabble" was selected for the annual juried exhibition of Birds in Art, at the Leigh Yawkey Woodson Musuem in Wausau Wisconsin.  This show is a very BIG deal, and I was happy to be a part of it this year.  My painting sold during the exhibition.  Birds in Art continues through November.


I just completed this California Quail--a small piece that was part of a benefit auction for the Woodson Museum during the opening weekend of Birds in Art.  Proceeds from the auction go towards future art purchases by the Museum.  

It's funny how sometimes the simplest paintings can be the most complicated.  I started this piece as two Quail--a male and female.  Both were positioned on a block, with clouds in the background and a blue square all around them.  But it didn't feel right.  So first I eliminated the clouds, then the second quail just didn't feel right, then the block went, and finally I decided to just keep the single male quail.  Sometimes simple is better.  I hope to have a limited edition print of this piece soon.



Finally, my painting Nuthatches in a Pepper Tree is included in the Society of Animal Artists 52nd Annual Exhibition at the Hiram Blauvelt Art Museum in Oradell New Jersey.  The show opened on October 1st and continues through December 31, 2012.  

www.lywam.org  www.societyofanimalartists.com

3 comments:

jayeo said...

Hi Barbara,

In researching a trip to California this coming May, we came upon your work at a gallery in Pt Reyes where we will stay 1 night. Can't wait to see your work in person! I still have your georgous rose on my wall!
One question: what medium do you paint in and do you still use stipple? It is hard to tell from the internet.
Fabulous work!
Jaye
jayeoliver.com

jayeo said...

In researching a trip to California this coming May, we came upon your work at a gallery in Pt Reyes where we will stay 1 night. Can't wait to see your work in person! I still have your georgous rose on my wall!
One question: what medium do you paint in and do you still use stipple? It is hard to tell from the internet.
Fabulous work!
Jaye
jayeoliver.com

Barbara said...

Could this be the Jaye Oliver I knew many years back?
Now I work in acrylic--no more stipple, but I do often use a cross-hatched kind of brush stroke.

I'm afraid the gallery in Pt. Reyes is no more. It closed a few years back.

Barbara